Second reflection task: My autobiography

My experience as a foreign language teacher

Since I was a little girl I was taught the importance of learning a foreign language. A remarkable person in my life is my aunt. She was forced to study laws by my grandparents but her desire was to be an English teacher. She helped me a lot in the process of learning English and she was always willing to teach me every time I needed it. She loved English and I loved her passion and the excitement she transmitted. She really had an impact on my way of thinking. She made me love English too. I was fortunate to attend a well-regarded elementary school in which I had my first encounter with English and it was enchanting and overwhelming at the same time. My teacher was a pure knowledge transmitter and the classes were very traditional.

During the years I spent in high school, I went through some changes in my life. My parents decided to send me to a public school because my sister was born and they could not afford a private one anymore. New school, new friends, new teachers, new experiences came and I was frightened. Over the years, I became more responsible and autonomous for my own learning. By that time, my cousin who is an English teacher graduated from Universidad Surcolombiana was doing her master degree abroad. She left behind some books and novels at grandma’s house so that I could take advantage of them. My curiosity and my willingness to learn English leads me to start reading those books and novels. I still remember the first time I read an English book. It was a short story called Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I found it captivating and engaging.

Luckily, in tenth grade I met a teacher who was more aware about the necessity of communicating in English. I admired her because of her dynamism, enthusiasm and commitment in most of the English classes. She was always concerned about teaching her students how to communicate and providing them different contexts to practice communicative functions. It was the first time I had a teacher like her. I definitely loved English but it was certain that I did not want to be a teacher.

Six years passed on, and I took a decision. I wanted to be a dentist. Unfortunately, my dream did not come true. That career was offered by private institutions and my parents could not support me at that time. I was devastated by the way and it was difficult to comprehend. After overcoming that situation, I finally applied to be part of the English language Program at Universidad Surcolombiana. Some doors were closed for me but new opportunities arose. I learnt and I got the most out of those years of constant learning. I got my first job as an English teacher when I was in fifth semester. Since that traumatic but rewarding experience, I realized that I had the vocation to be a teacher.

Obtaining a degree in teacher education was just the beginning, I was just taught to begin teaching but during the years I have been immersed in significant teaching practices. I will mainly emphasize on the word experience with reference to the process I have gone through to become the teacher I am. Those practices have directly shaped my conceptions, my perceptions, my thoughts and my ideologies about the educational performance played by teachers. Each job has contributed to my professional development.

Currently, I am studying a Master Degree at Universidad Surcolombiana.  I am immersed in an ongoing process of discovering myself as a professional and reshaping my methodology based on my experiences in teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment